October 25, 2004

Lefty

I am proud to be a left-handed person, even though it causes stress and annoyance in my daily life. If you ask many left handed people today, it is very hard to find someone who is fully left-handed. Lots of us play sports right handed because that was the only way that we were taught. Or some write left-handed but use their fork in their right hand. It is the reality of living in a right-handed world. We always have to sit on the edge of a table when out for dinner or at a family function. If we’re lucky we can change our mouse to be left-handed though we must fear the wrath of anyone who needs to sit at our desk for a moment as they try unsuccessfully to maneuver the mouse.

I haven’t always been proud to be left-handed. In school I was pointed out for it in many ways. I remember gym teachers asking if anyone was left-handed and the entire class pointing to me. His advice? Just do it opposite of everyone else.

There are many benefits to being a lefty. While we do find ourselves using equipment daily that may seem backwards to us, it forces us to be more adaptable. We are a minority. A large minority, but we get no reference in the grand scheme of things. I think it’s because we are a minority in such a small undistinguishable way. Many people will know me for years and not realize that I am one. One the outside you see, we look just like everyone else. But to other left-handers we see our fellow comrades immediately. On television, in movies, in restaurants, it’s almost intuition.

In my family I was the only left-handed one. The only one as far back as they could remember. So guess my fascination and utmost glee when my niece turned out to be one too. Now that she’s writing I can imagine all the difficulties that lay ahead. But she’s got it better than I did. There are entire stores where she can get her own left-handed scissors, can openers and the like. But I’m betting that she won’t. She'll do as we have all done, she’ll adapt, she learn, she’ll grow. She will, as I have done, take that teacher’s advice and do it opposite from everyone else. And that might be the best part of it all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dusty Truck said...

I am a fellow lefty and proud of it. I use a right handed mouse set up for a right hander. It makes it easier to use any computer, but I have to use my middle finger to do all the clicking. But on second thought I like it that way. You should have seen me in the military trying to throw a grenade. You have to hold it upside down.

3:52 p.m.  
Blogger Becca said...

Now that's something I've never tried!

7:39 p.m.  
Blogger a-dub said...

dont worry becca, ive heard that lefties die sooner as well!

5:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our family has had a number of lefty's. A Great-aunt and 2 Great-Great-uncles. And that's just on my father's side. On your Grandmother's side of the family there are cousins (twice removed) that are lefty's. Your Great-Grandmother had one blue eye and one green eye. It seems we need to talk more about our family. Love, Dad.

8:19 p.m.  
Blogger Red said...

Lefties die sooner?!!! As a child, my mother constantly reminded me that "you'll die young" when she caught me using my left hand! At school, I was forced to use my right hand at writing - well, that's my excuse for 'doctor-style' handwriting today!

1:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home